We know several Conferences are keen to recommence church collections. After extensive consultation with Regions we have devised a short note on how to best approach this for your Conference to ensure that both you and your donors are kept safe.
In advance of the collection
- NB: Please only recommence church collections if your local parish priest is happy for you to do so.
- Church collection preparation should be overseen by the designated Lead Covid-19 Rep for your Conference.
- The membership team will have recently sent you Returning to Home Visitation information. The safety and hygiene principles outlined in Returning to Home Visits Protocol; Returning to Home Visits video (2 mins 8 seconds); and Covid-19 Awareness video (2 mins 52 seconds) are relevant to church collections and should be applied accordingly.
- Each Conference Member will have already completed the Returning to Home Visits Form (and if necessary they can refer to Returning to Home Visits FAQs). This form also applies to church collections as this is a core aspect of the work of visitation Conferences.
- If your Conference uses auxiliary members, it is recommended that they also complete this form Returning to Home Visits Form and return it to the Lead Covid-19 Rep for your Conference prior to your first collection.
- It is also recommended that auxiliary members watch the short information videos above.
During the collection
- For the short term, we recommend that Conferences who are conducting collections place buckets on a small picnic table at the church entrance or gate and stand two metres back from the buckets to adhere to social distancing rules.
- Buckets should be sealed as per the Charity Regulator Guidelines.
- We recommend that you adhere to all safety and hygiene advice outlined in the videos below whilst collecting and counting monies received.
Supporting church collections going forward
- Due to restrictions on church attendance, we foresee that numbers attending mass will be low for the foreseeable future. We are currently developing a range of measures to support your church collections. These will include ‘Blue Envelopes’ for your Conference to use at church collections, ‘Tap to Donate’ units and more.
If you have any more queries on this please don’t hesitate to get in touch with your local Regional Office, MSO or the National Fundraising Team.
Head of Fundraising
The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul